Saturday, July 23, 2011

Chapter Eleven: The Dream We Drank

A thick woolen blanket is wrapped around my neck, it itches and the weight lays heavy as it pushes and kicks against my already tired shoulders. She’s too old to travel like this, but we have no choice. It’s cold out and walking gives a sense of some warmth. We hurry against my breath. Her eyes little shadows of brown in the folds of fabric. My arms beneath her. She is five. “Tell me the story about the captains of ice-cream boats and the kidnap junkies who took mama.” She says “Tell me about how you were great once papa.” But I can never tell her. All I can do is wake up to the weep.
Under another unfamiliar roof where the sun can’t access me directly I sip a cold Aguila, one of my few weapons against the war on heat. Alert level adjustment. Belly up against the bar, I meet a man who got here thru a garage door, a sex motel where the cab pulls directly into the room so nobody can see who gets out. A laminated menu of sex toys framed against the mirrored walls. The bill comes up in a dumbwaiter along with whatever else you need. A traveler with a band-aid that he wears like a badge of pride. Look how dangerous this is. Look at me man. No hands. A land-mine model for the cool kids. The war on the thick continues.
            Tell the homeless to go home. Each traveler more racist than the day before. The Chileans hate the Peruvians, everybody hates the Argentineans and the Israelis are a given. Out of sight they demand, as we conquer more and more. Our vision rants and haunts the thick. Quenches it with the reliability of a quick fix. We jimmy-rig the future just seconds prior to walking thru it. We get our news from our immediate surroundings. Those around us become pundits. In these moments this man sitting next to me is my reporter. This bar is his backdrop. The open view of Santa Marta streets gives the weather report. Every time I interject I change the station. Every time he rejects my remarks we fight over the remote. Every metaphor cheapens and waters down how urgent this fight is.
           
                                                          This is where I am.
           
Where cocaine goes on the hotel bill. Where stretch marks are for junkies instead of fat. Holes so big you need a license to scuba dive. Which itch would you like to scratch today…You want it to be warm? Here we are. You want the ocean? There it is. You want a beautiful woman? There she goes. You want to get high? Have at it in public. Now what do you really want? After you’ve had all these things you will need to ask with the sincerity of a dying mans heart…and what should you ask for then, some sleep, the happiness of those you love, for a breath? Well just invite it in with the devil, with the travel, with the conquest, with the good company of desire.
            Santa Marta is the oldest standing city in Colombia. Here we are being the oldest we could be. It’s Independence Day here. The usual show of firepower is shown to celebrate. I stay up drinking with the bartender till the people slowly go the way of the buffalo. We hop in a cab and enter the exit of this city at around 2 a.m. 15 minutes out in a taxi for a girl’s birthday party. There are no speakers at her house and a strange little man drives a car drunk to steal some from his mother. I become a topic of conversation. I fade. I come back in. A man who owns a restaurant here asks me to spend the day shopping for art with him. A girl asks me to jump the border with her. I ask myself if this is what I came for. I feel to comfortable in this scenario.
I just want to swim, being out of breath in the ocean seems to be the only thing that calms me. The further the breakers are, the calmer I get. I’ll be almost thirty before I accept death and space-travel.  Admit I will do both. I’ll be almost forty before my heart breaks. I climb a coconut tree and cut down the pipas with a machete.
            Out in the water a man in a kayak rows up to me as I struggle for a swim. He asks me if I want to rent his kayak, I say no. He asks me if I want to buy any weed, I say no. He asks me if I want any Colombian women, I say no. He winks and rows off easily into the future.
            We take the bus 18 hours back to Medillin. A drunken bus driver kicks us off the road for two hours till a tow truck driver comes. We laugh because we have nothing else. We eat painkillers so we can sleep. We drive the pages of books down the lanes of memories so we can feel accomplished. We loose days.
They are already playing my record when we enter the city limits. They already know what I drink. Gather around with kisses on the cheek. How easy is it to recreate the life I had with the twist I want. How obvious is that failure evident. Very. Back in Medillin I think you can guess a frame of mind. I have my first show out of the country this week. Excitement dog piles execution rifles. I wont cheap poet anymore. I got my visa extended. So for another thirty days I will indulge. In Peru I will abstain. Between I will revolt. Everything I’ve been saying. Next time will be all A’s and B’s I promise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment